Sport at Stoneygate
Sport at Stoneygate School plays a huge part in each pupil’s school life - the physical benefits, the fostering of team spirit, the encouragement and acceptance of those of all standards with the courage and willingness to have a go. Every child is in one of four Leagues and is expected to represent their League in Intra-League Competitions. In addition, every child regardless of their ability will be given the opportunity to represent the school in a friendly fixture against another school.
Aims of Physical Education and Games
We aim to present Physical Education and Games in such a way that each activity is fun, which will lead to achievement and progress, which in turn brings recognition and promotes self-worth. We also promote Effort + Motivation + Persistence which ultimately equals SUCCESS.
Specifically, we aim to:
- Ensure all our children, through their experiences at Stoneygate, develop a love of sport and physical activity which will serve them throughout their lives.
- Develop an attitude of mind that is an important part of sporting success: self-discipline, physical and mental commitment, a desire to win yet the ability to lose gracefully and have respect for one’s opponents and authority.
- Encourage team sports in the belief that it is important for children to learn to work as part of a group, and in doing so to be unselfish and supportive, and to develop the team spirit which is vital, not only in sport, but also within life generally.
- Provide all pupils with the coaching, training and match opportunities which will allow them to develop and provide a skill foundation for future development. All children will have similar opportunities and be included in matches at an appropriate level feeling equally valued.
At Stoneygate we have a number of pupils who excel in their chosen sport from Rugby to Swimming. As a school we are proud of their achievements, which come through hard work and commitment to their sport. They represent our School, their County and also compete at National level. We recognise these athletes require support and encouragement from us as a school: from support with homework to ensuring they are able to eat at certain times of the day.
We pride ourselves on the array of sporting opportunities our pupils are given. The major games at Stoneygate include Rugby, Football, Hockey and Cricket for boys, and Hockey, Netball, Rounder’s and Cricket for girls. In PE and Games, throughout the academic year, all children will complete a half term of the following activities:
- Pre-prep: Games, Dance, Gymnastics, Athletics, Striking and Fielding. In Year, 2 pupils are introduced to Hockey.
- Prep and Senior School: Dance, Gymnastics, Athletics, Cross Country, Hockey, Basketball, Fitness and Tennis.
- From Year 2 to 6 all pupils will have two half term blocks of swimming in the LGS indoor swimming pool.
Year 9 upwards:
Our Year 9 pupils begin preparing for their IGCSEs and this includes PE and Games. Some of our pupils choose to take IGCSE PE in Year 10 and 11. In preparation for this, our older pupils take part in Games at Leicester Grammar School.
Every pupil takes part in Stoneygate School’s annual Sports Day. Pupils represent their League and are divided into three groups:
- Pre-prep Sports mid-morning & Lunch
- Years 3-5 Sports Afternoon & Tea
- Years 6-10 Senior Sports Afternoon & Tea
This gives the parents an opportunity to come and see their children and take part in exciting, fun events, with an element of competition.
The PE Department also organise extra events for the pupils. These events include a Christmas pre-prep production with an element of dance, pre-prep gymnastic display, Morris Mile Obstacle Course, an invitational netball & football tournament, special guests to inspire the pupils and many other exciting events. We are always looking for new initiatives and opportunities to inspire our pupils.
PE and Games Timetable:
For more information on sporting activities that take place in individual year groups please follow the links below.